Cross Country improvement

Zahraa Humadi, Features Reporter

THMS offers a handful of sports, from football and basketball to golf and volleyball. One of the sports offered here is Cross Country, which is a small team of people who love and enjoy running long distances. 

I think it’s been a lot more of an improvement since last year, because we have a lot more people qualifying for invitations and I feel like we’re more of a team this year.”

— David Shafer

“I love it. I have fun with everyone and it’s a great way to stay in shape,” senior David Shafer said. 

Shafer has been participating in Cross Country at THMS for two years now.

“I think it’s been a lot more of an improvement since last year, because we have a lot more people qualifying for invitations and I feel like we’re more of a team this year,” Shafer said.  

According to Armando Olivares-Norzagaray, a junior that has been on the team for two years now, the coaches have been doing a very good job of keeping the team on track.  

“Our coaches are very good and they know how to get the point to us, and to improve ourselves and everything like that,” said Olivares-Norzagaray. 

“I’m in charge of the workouts and the kids’ times and coach B is in charge of all the paperwork and getting us to the meets and getting the fundraisers done correctly,” Coach Alex Lizarribar said. 

Coach Mark Bejarano is supposed to be in charge of the boys’ cross country team while Lizarribar is supposed to be in charge of the girls, but they have decided to coach the teams together.  

Lizarribar has been coaching the team for about four years now, after being in cross country herself in college. 

“When we’re doing easy runs I’ll run with either the fast or the slow kids, and he’ll bike with the other ones so no one is left alone so we always have eyes on everybody,” Lizarribar said

Lizarribar never really like running in high school, but she decided to join her college cross country team after her friend joined, and she has been running ever since.

“It’s very competitive and really hard and very challenging,” said Olivares-Norzagaray. 

The air of competitiveness can be very intimidating but the friendly people make it a lot easier. 

“I didn’t think I’d be as good as other people on the team because it’s my first year but I seem to have caught up very quickly,” said senior Jesus Galavis. 

The team members feel very close to each other and very supportive of each other. 

“There aren’t many changes that I would make because we’re so close and supportive of each other and we really are hard working,” Polanco said. 

Senior Brenda Dicochea has been in Cross Country since her sophomore year of high school. 

“I did track and I thought Cross Country was pretty long since it’s like three miles but I started doing it and I really liked it so I kept on doing it,” Dicochea said. 

According to Dicochea this has been their best year since she started the team due to the improvement of teamwork. 

“This year we have getting a lot better at team bonding so I think we have gotten a lot better as a team,” Dicochea said.