THMS monitors’ point of view

Zahraa Humadi, Features Reporter

Students spend around 40 hours at school during the week, so it’s basically a second home, and for a school to feel like home you need a staff that make you feel comfortable. According to senior Daniela Bojórquez, the monitors at THMS are anything but unpleasant.

“I feel like they do amazing and they’re so friendly, I’m not going hesitate there,” Bojórquez said.

This is Bojórquez’s fourth year at THMS and she has never had a bad encounter with any of the monitors, in fact she has grown a very friendly relationship with all of them.

“I don’t feel like they’re just some monitors that you see every day, they’re also our friends. You feel like you can talk to them,” Bojórquez said.

I do more than just monitor, I actually try to set a good example. I try to be a good role model.”

— Zinnia Vidal

Not everyone is as happy with the monitors as Borjórquez is.

While it is debatable whether or not the monitors do their jobs well, it is not up for question whether or not they actually do their jobs.

“My job duties are to ensure the security of the campus by guarding the gates,” security agent Edward Contreras said.

Contreras has been working at THMS for eleven years now, and works to make sure that over 3,000 students are in class when they’re supposed to be.

“I make sure that the people who come in are verified and allowed to come in,” Contreras said.

Carlos Armendáriz has been working at THMS for six years now and it’s his first year working as the assistant principal of operations here.

Armendáriz has been in education for over three decades now.

“I love this school, I think the students are great. The teachers do a great job and this school has so much culture in general,” Armendáriz said.

Armendáriz is in charge of making sure that everything is ready in the morning and at lunch for the students when they get to school.

“I have to make sure that the buildings are ready and clean, that the athletic fields are ready. It’s hard but we have a crew that do a lot and really care about our students,” Armendáriz said.

Zinnia Vidal is a new monitor on campus and absolutely loves her job.

“I love my job because I believe in these kids to do the best that they can do and I’m here to support that and I’m here for their safety and I’m here for basically everyone that is employed with Tucson High,” Vidal said.

According to Carolyn Jones, the assistant principal in charge of curriculum and instructions, she would rather have better benefits rather than better pay.

“If I had the choice I think I would ask, for not an increase in pay but rather in more financial support in the district covering more cost,” Jones said.

Armendáriz and Vidal both love their jobs and the kids and staff that they work with, but they would both agree on the fact that they don’t’ really get the pay that they deserve for the amount of work that they do.

“I do more than just monitor, I actually try to set a good example. I try to be a good role model,” Vidal said.

According to Vidal being a monitor puts her life, and her coworkers’ lives in danger.

“We do more than making sure that kids go to classes, We do more than make sure that they’re safe. We talk to them. We support them. We put ourselves in risk of getting hurt while breaking up fights and any incident that happens. We are out there in danger during lockdowns and fire drills,” Vidal said.

At the end of the day, the staff at THMS are okay with putting themselves in danger as long as the kids are safe and learning.

“I am part of a system of support for students that help keep students successful, safe, and on the right path to graduate”, Jones said.