Teachers demand fair pay

Vanessa Canez, News Reporter

Teachers at THMS have come together in refusing to be available before and after their contract hours. Hoping for the support of the parents of their students, whom pay taxes.

We’ve decided that until they pay us the money that the taxpayers have said we are to be paid, we’re are not going to work for free anymore.”

— Eric Johnsen

“Normally teachers spend hours of free time, me putting 10 hours, some teachers putting 20 hours a week. We’ve decided that until they pay us the money that the taxpayers have said we are to be paid, we’re are not going to work for free anymore.” Eric Johnsen, an American History teacher at THMS said.

Teachers across the TUSD district have become aware of an amount of money that has not been distributed among the state department of education properly. Teachers from various schools have come together to discuss their major concerns.

“We are trying to maximize the amount of money from Prop 301 for teachers to get, without having to go through hoops,” Anthony Vacura, Special Education teacher at THMS said.

The portion of money that is assigned to teachers is divided into three categories. 20 percent goes directly into their salary, another 40 percent for maintenance and operations, and the last 40 percent indicated by their performance.

Teachers depending on their subject in the education department struggle meeting the requirements to earn that 20 percent, more than others do.

Teachers are often evaluated by the performance of their students on state tests.

“Teachers in Special Education, they’re students, because of their disabilities, are not going to score as high as other students do,” Vacura said.

Teachers have put a request for a survey in which their input and concerns will voiced.

“We’re waiting to see what our union, TEA, is going to do on how they will represent us,” Johnsen said.

Teachers plan to act accordingly after they receive feedback from the TEA. The movement is to be continued, this is only the beginning.