Thirteenth annual Mathematics Educator Appreciation Day conference

Grayson Alt, Administration Reporter, News Editor

The thirteenth annual Mathematics Educator Appreciation Day conference was hosted Saturday, Jan. 21st at THMS.

The Mathematics Educator Appreciation Day conference or MEAD is an annual conference that is set up by the University of Arizona.

This year is the 13th annual year of the MEAD conference this is also the 13th year that MEAD has been held at THMS.

Every time I learn new stuff I take it to my school and I do it with my kids. They always bring something new and I always enjoy being here”

— Salma Al-Gourdi

The MEAD conference was founded by Fred Stevenson at the UA.

“To help them out and to help realize how valuable they were he started a conference for their benefit,” Melissa Hosten, the Co-director for the Center of Recruitment and Retention of Math Teachers, said.

The MEAD shows teachers new educating techniques while providing teachers with support.  

“Every time I learn new stuff I take it to my school and I do it with my kids. They always bring something new and I always enjoy being here,” Salma Al-Gourdi, an Elementary School Teacher at Marana Unified School District, said.

The MEAD conference is a city wide conference with a high attendance rate of about five hundred teachers.

“We put a full conference on for math teacher K-16, it’s free of charge for all teachers in the Tucson area,” Hosten said on the appeal of the MEAD conference.

Ginger Ververelli is the math department chair at THMS and has been helping coordinate the MEAD conference.

“They actually inspire and rejuvenate math teachers and give them new idea for instruction and what to teach” Ververelli said.

The MEAD conference helps teacher moral and in turn helps student morale.

“It’s’ a trickle-down effect” Ververelli said on the effect that the MEAD conference has on teachers and students.

These conferences teach teachers new and exciting techniques which can help students.

Mark Anker is a teacher who combined geometry with his school’s CTE programs to give students a more enriching education.

“The last three kids who had come out of our program won the welding competition in the state of Arizona” Mark Anker a Math Teacher at North Canyon High School.

Anker was at the MEAD conference in hopes of teaching more teachers about his fusion project.

The MEAD conference has been helping teachers improve and feel supported for 13 years and plans to continue.