Wrestling wrap-up for team

THMS varsity wrestlers finalize their season with wins at the Salpointe High School tournament, the Flowing Wells tournament, and Peoria: Tournament of Champions.

Jazmyn Gutierrez, Sports Reporter

The THMS varsity wrestling season has come to an end, their last tournament being held at Salpointe High School where they placed 2nd out of thirty-two teams, finishing just behind Mountain View High by seventeen points.

“It’s like an uprising; we did good this year, better than last year. The lineup was great and everything went well for everyone,”varsity wrestler Marco Rivera said.

Aside from Salpointe, the Badgers pulled off a 10th place win out of forty-six other competing schools at the Flowing Wells tournament.

According to THMS wrestling Coach DeBerry, the Flowing Wells championship was considered to be the toughest in the state, and this win was the best finish at this tournament in forty years for THMS.

“I feel like our accomplishment is not on the wrestlers, because we have really good coaches in our corner. I’ve learned so much from my coaches and I can’t explain it,” senior Jesus Dalumpinis said.

This is a grand exit for the graduating Badger wrestlers. Such as Michael Escobedo, who has received a scholarship from wrestling.

“I feel humbled and blessed to be given an opportunity to actually further my wrestling and education somewhere else,” Escobedo said.

Escobedo hopes to study physical therapy or electrical engineering at Central College, which is located in Pella, Iowa.

“The way that we look at it is, the kids are going to graduate, no one gets to stay here forever, except for me,” DeBerry said.

DeBerry mentioned that some of his seniors are looking at futures in the military while others desire to continue their wrestling careers at community colleges.

The Badgers also competed in a tournament held in Las Vegas, Nevada; where they placed 3rd out of twenty-eight teams, beating out Madill High from Oklahoma. THMS had nine boys place.

The THMS Badgers finished 8th out of forty-two teams competing at the Peoria: Tournament of Champions, in Chandler, Arizona. This 8th place win was the highest ever at Peoria for the Badgers wrestling team.