Goodwill offers THMS’ students careers

Goodwill Sponsored a program to help THMS students get jobs through a training seminars

Talia Encinas, Features Reporter

Goodwill is sponsoring an employment skills class for minors, ages sixteen to eighteen, at THMS.

THMS assistant principal Roberto Thompson is helping organize the program.

“For me the biggest hinderance for education is poverty. That is the biggest focal piece that stops people from getting an education, so if we can increase people’s revenue then there is more of a likelihood that they will want to continue their education.”

This is the only program of its kind in the city of Tucson.

“It is the first year of the program. Basically, the concept is, you bring community resources to the school and that way it’s a one stop shop for parents and students,” Thompson said.

The classes are designed to teach workplace skills, and to continuously work with students even after they are employed.

The program intends to keep track of students’ grades and providing tutors to those who need them.

“It’s very unique. What Goodwill does is give you skills: how to talk to your boss, how to dress appropriately, how to show up on time. All the skills you sometimes learn the hard way, now they’re going to teach it to you,” Thompson said.

Thompson said the program is more beneficial than if students get jobs on their own.

“If you get a job on your own that’s awesome, but think of all those skills you had to be taught. Right here, it’s one stop but it’s continuous so while you’re in the program, they’re going to keep working with you,” Thompson said.

Goodwill wants to give minors the work experience that is needed. Students have been given this rare opportunity to get the experience required for their first job, in a convenient class offered during school.

“The ultimate goal is to get thirty-five of our students employed with job skills and now they have something to put on their resume going into college or to continue with their career path,” Thompson said.

The program is led by Goodwill industries and offers to teach students job skills from preparing for the interview to proper workplace manners.

If a student needs anything for their job, such as transportation or a uniform, Goodwill’s program will happily provide it.

Goodwill employees Julie Bednarek and Carly Bissonnette run the program.

“This program will teach you the rights and wrongs of the workplace and will match you with jobs that interest you.” Bednarek says.

The program will be held for a total of four classes on Monday, during conference period at THMS.