Modern Emotion: THMS Dance

Grace Sanders, Cactus Chronicle

Pain, struggle, love—these complex emotions can only truly be conveyed through the arts.

The intermediate and advanced ballet, jazz, and modern dance classes converged on stage in the THMS auditorium on Nov. 15.

The fall dance concert consisted of 16 dance pieces choreographed predominantly by students with some teacher collaboration.

Some of the dances were choreographed by teachers, but even then, the students offered input to make the pieces their own.

The disciplines included everything from tap to modern and classical jazz to hip hop.

Dance is one of the more popular fine arts programs at THMS.

For many of the dancers, dance is not just a class, but a significant part of their lives as a means of personal growth and expression.

Many higher level dancers are considering pursuing dance as a career.

Raizel Damian, a THMS senior, was recently accepted to Arizona State University as a dance major, after auditioning during a field trip with the THMS dance program.

Damian’s dance, “I’m So Sorry”, was inspired by the complex emotions she felt after the loss of a good friend and how it changed her perspective on life.

According to Damian, she was bitter and angry with the people in her life for a long time. Losing her friends taught her that she has to cherish the relationships she has made in this life.

Helen Siddons’ dance, “Paralyzed”, represented an injury she suffered. Siddons dance conveyed how crushing the experience was and how it has since effected her dancing.

Siddons spent most of her time in class last year choreographing the dance from a chair because of her injury.

The chair was used to symbolize her helplessness and her struggle, as well as her growth. The dancers began in chairs, before slowly but surely gravitating out of them—crawling, limping, and eventually standing.

These student dancers put hours of work into preparing for the show for over two months both in and outside of class to make for a thrilling and creative performance.

“The dance culture and community [at school] made me more in love with it,” junior Marissa Diaz said. “The movement that I do makes me love myself more. I see it as my future now.”