Mock’s Doc

THMS Teacher creates journalistic documentaries on the side

Angelina Valenzuela, Head of Writing

It’s not always what you see on TV and it’s a lot messier than we usually think.”

— Brian Mock

Twenty years in the making, Brian Mock and his good friend, Bob Guzley, paid a visit to political rallies around the U.S., gathering diverse perspectives and information from participants to later make a video documentation for his students.

In the year 1996, Mock and Guzley started this whole media-mania with a video camera and a stack of questions to ask random participants at a political gathering.

Mock, Economics and Government teacher of three years at THMS, became a journalist without even trying.

And now for the 2016 presidential election, they would ask the same questions they asked decades ago.

Mock believes that this election is a “big one” and will make its mark in history, “we’ve done this before, but this time I want to do this to where I can really show my students,” Mock said.

There were specifically two rallies that Mock attended; Republican rally in Cleveland, Ohio, and Democratic rally in Philadelphia.

Clipboard and camera in hand, Mock went from demonstrators, to delegates, to protesters and asked questions similar to those he would ask his Economics class: What are your economic beliefs? What do you think about the economy? What do you think about gay rights and abortion? Or even gun rights?

“I would be able to show what a Republican supporter would say compared to what a Democratic supporter would say,” Mock said.

Mock believed showing what a Republican would say to the question of ‘What do you think about the economy?’ compared to what a Democratic would say, would indicate the delegates truthful beliefs and give voters–the younger population that are his students–the knowledge of who to vote for office.

Mock wanted to put out the point of how “dramatic” and “lively” conventions can be on one side of the door, but also on the other side—with the real people.

He talked about the thousands of people protesting outside the rallies, and even protesters inside the convention that were being paid to fill the seats.

“It’s not always what you see on TV and it’s a lot messier than we usually think,” Mock said.

Mock explained how just by having a camera and microphone at rallies, people would be so outgoing and jump right into the mood of talking and answering debate questions.

“One day we realized we got into events that we never would’ve, and just said ‘We’re making a video for school’ and people let us into some events with famous people and speakers,” Mock said.

While at the convention in Cleveland, Ohio, Mock bumped into a 19-year-old delegate, Westhenry Ioerger, who was of 2,400 delegates at the 2016 Republican National Convention.

Mock explained that Ioerger was at the convention to speak, influenced by one of his own AP (Advanced Placement) Government teachers.

“I tapped him on the shoulder right before he got interviewed for MSNBC and told him I was a teacher from Tucson, and he said ‘If you’re teacher, I’ll totally make time for you because that’s why I’m a delegate’,” Mock said.

Young people having the ability to speak their mind in politics may be the breakthrough that we need, and that is the message that Mock wants his students to receive.

“Students often think that it’s just old people, but it’s not and it can be young people too—and it really should be,” Mock said.

Mock’s non-narrated documentary is scheduled to show at the Exploded View Gallery on E. Toole Ave. on October 19th, with seats for only $5.